Monday, June 14, 2010

Basavanagudi's South Thindies

On a random day, I was strolling in Basavanagudi, the neighborhood I grew up in. And I felt hungry or generally felt like eating and thus spotted South Thindies a.k.a Snacks of the South. A fast food joint that is so in sync with the ambiance of the neighborhood that locals throng all over and spill to the road. Apart from the usual Bangalore fast food comprising of Idli, Vada, Dosa with Sambar, Sagoo, Chutney combinations; there happened to be Akki Rotti, Ragi Rotti, Holige, Haal bai which are local delicacies that no fast food joint would make on daily basis. There was also Cocum juice on menu and Kerala parota. So this place is not South of Bangalore only, eh! Include South of India.

As I enjoyed my plate of Ragi rotti, I cherished the memories of growing up in these lanes, struggling to sum up five rupees with cousins to grab the plate of Masala Puri a decade back. And still the budget doesn't change much. Just the same plus a few rupees more to savor the same taste. I loved it!
There is no place to sit. And if you wish to sit and eat, please find yourself a bench nearby or place it on your car seat. Just enjoy the food.

As always, a trip to the South of Bangalore is incomplete without the filter coffee and I had the half cup for five rupees.
Best part of the trip down my lanes of memory: Cost. Less than Rs.50/- for a sumptuous snack.

4 comments:

Kanupriya said...

Hey have been to this place many times when my office used to be that side of the town and love the specialities there :)

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at afewstrangethings.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Oliver

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at afewstrangethings.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from this post above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
Charlie

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely glad to discover this. cool job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...