Sunday, January 10, 2010

This upmarket shopping thing

.. has driven me crazy over the weekend. So, after the fancy lunch at Khansama, I decided 'no more going to upmarket places in down-market clothes' and went shopping over the weekend. Guess what? The first shop on MG road that I stopped by was upmarket and had a sale as well. So problem solved? No way! You must be kidding me! I tried and tried and tried and got tired of my up and down journey to the trial rooms. Out of boredom and frustration of not finding that perfect piece, I generally billed a few items, which I now realize are not really usable in the upmarket mall. Anyway, that was also because it was closing time for the shop.
I went there again on Sunday. There was no top that looked smart on me and no trouser of my waist size. And all the money that I was mentally prepared to spend quietly went right back into my savings account, not that it got out because I was carrying a debit card. And Sunday, magically transformed into a miserable day because of this reason. I am sure the intelligent reader may say "if you got miserable because you couldn't spend the money, give it to me". I will just say No, Thanks!


By the way, talk of upmarket and Bengaluru's upmarket street MG road flashes into my mind. And now that I just came from there, I tell you, it is no longer upmarket and flashy, just another street full of construction work and most shops unoccupied or renovating. The metro construction has stolen Bengaluru of its best road and glamour. There are a few cafes that make some business and a few silk saree stores and super markets trying to sell. Most of the big brands who want a showroom in prime location have either shifted to UB city or closed/renovating. This is the weekend scene with paise-walas flaunting some cash in the pricey eatouts. The only happening people on weekdays are those who work in offices nearby and want a quick lunch buffet.
And I remember a decade back when MG road was the prime hangout of all wannabe college kids, including your's truly. All we could afford was the upmarket coffee shops (I was a wannabe upmarket even back then!) and a walk on MG road and window shopping in the happening cloth stores.
My upmarket idea seems to have faded off with the teen days. Sad thing eh! 

3 comments:

Kanupriya said...

Hey me too often face this...Willingness to spend but hard to find anything suitable to my size plus taste...sigh!

Anjuli said...

Its always a bit sad when places which once held such fond memories lose some of their appeal.

Oreen said...

I miss my strolls on MG Road too. Even the Indian Coffee House is gone now. Church Street still remains attractive for Blossoms...a place one can spend hours inside...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...