Friday, December 18, 2009

Public transport and other sad things

I have been using Volvo buses in Bangalore in recent time and found the service good. since buses in Bangalore have been my mode of transport for times immemorial, I just hopped on a random bus yesterday to go 2 stops. I realized the normal bus service sucks after the good transport you have taken. The conductor took money from me and didn't give me a ticket. This is pretty common in Bangalore BMTC buses. People pay 2 rupees for a short distance and get no ticket. I am totally against this concept of feeding the conductor and would rather have my ticket. I told the guy I paid for a minimum ticket and he was going to refund me the rest when I demanded a ticket. This probably ticked him off and he reminded me to get off in a stop much earlier than my destination. I said no and sat and he told the driver to close the door. The driver then wouldn't open the door for me to get off at a signal further down the road. I had to convince him that people won't know stops, blah blah. But then, this is the sad state of public service in Bangalore. You have to beg to be treated with dignity in return for your money paid. The concept of public service seems to be lost in Bangalore, especially in the sub-urb buses where the driver and conductor live in the attitude of doing the public a favour.

3 comments:

Anjuli said...

oh boy I would have been very upset!! How did you finally get off the bus?

As for the book- I wrote under your comment with my email address- you can email me with your mailing address and I'll send you the book.

Warriorwithin said...

you sound like a ABCD visiting India and cribbing about infrastructure...
and as above commenter asks ''how did u get off the bus??'' how did u??

Sneo said...

I kept telling the driver "people wont know the bus stop" .. blah blah. I convinced the guy that it was a lady almost begging for a favour. Sad thing to happen in public transport. when they are supposed to serve the public.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...