Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The bus ride to Goa

Yes, I went to Goa for the Christmas weekend. Cliche as it is, I still love going to Goa because it is a generously accommodative  land. Goa never said NO anytime I wanted to go, even with the last minute plans. This Christmas season was crazy. Prices hiked up for holiday season is fine, but this year was hiked 4 times instead of the usual double. We got a bunch of cancelled tickets and hopped on Paulo bus and started off.
Tumkur road flyover construction which is going on from the last 5-6 years was the first show stopper. Heard the driver and his back up speaking 


"Bangalore ka entrance hi itna kharab hai. yehi se tragedy shuru hota hai. Bombay ka entrance kitna mast hai, aaram se nikal jaate hai"
(Bangalore's entrance is so bad that the whole tragedy starts in the beginning, unlike Bombay whose entrance is great!)
And then we crawled on..
The driver went into full josh and drove like a train. We guys in the front row were pretty much slipping off the seat everytime he braked.
The next thing was traffic jam near Davangere, or so I think. it was middle of the night. This was another hour or so, struggling in those uncomfortable semi-sleeper seats.
Early morning, we stopped at a South Indian restaurant on the highway. The breakfast was abnormally priced. Rs.10 per idli, that too near Dharwad.
Bus went past the whole of Karnataka.. Dharwad, Hubli, Belgaum.. oh,what a drive!
TAKE THE DIRECT BUS TO GOA. 14 hours is long enough a drive and you dont want to add 3 more hours to this.
By 2 we reached Panjim, bought return tickets and took a local bus for minimum cost to Calangute. Rented the bike for an abnormally high price of 450 rupees a day. This was going to be the more expensive Goa trip ever!


Christmas time charges:
* Bus ticket Bangalore-Goa- Rs.1200
* Breakfast in rural Karnataka- Rs-40
* Bike for 2 days- Rs-450


Well, this was just the start of the trip. And it was already 6 in the evening on day 1 and I didn't even have a place to stay as yet. I was wondering how much more we had to spend on the room, party, dinner... before I could leave 48 hours later back to Bangalore...

8 comments:

Anjuli said...

I want to hear more about the journey- do you have pictures- would love to see pictures!!

Can't wait to hear about day 2!! :)

Anjuli said...

did my last comment not go through? If it did- just ignore this- I wanted to say, I can't wait to hear about the rest of the journey. Also- if you took pictures please display them, I would love to see them.

Reflections said...

Peak time in Goa or anywhere in India is expensive;-(.....I've been to Goa many times but a trip which stands out is when we stayed in a beach resort at Vagator[not sure abt the spelling] Beach. Getting up in the morning and running straight into the sea was the highlight....that was my best memory ever for a long time:-))

Wishing U a wonderful year ahead!!!

Renu said...

talk about being expensive, once we went to banglore from Thirupati and the driver stopped for BF, there 2 idlies were for 30/..and I am talking about 6 years back..I was so shocked, because the prevalent rate was 2 or 3 for 10.

Anonymous said...

What's Happening im new to this, I came accross this forum I have found It extremely helpful & it has helped me out tons. I should be able to give something back and help other people like it has helped me.

Thanks a load, Catch You Later.

Anonymous said...

Hello im fresh to this, I stumbled upon this message board I find It vastly helpful & it has helped me out alot. I should be able to give something back & assist other users like it has helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around

jasmit@tourist places in india said...

forget about expenses and tell me that u enjoy your trip na?

Anonymous said...

Good Day i am fresh here, I hit upon this message board I find It vastly useful and it has helped me out alot. I should be able to give something back and support other users like it has helped me.

Thanks, See You Around.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...