Friday, October 31, 2008

Bangalore city travel life

I was reading this (TOA 31 oct, Bangalore edition main paper page3) article in Times about city bus service in Bangalore, and I went down the memory lane of my city bus travel.
>> at 9, I started using city bus in Bangalore to travel from Basavanagudi to Shivananda Circle (to learn art at CKP. Now you know where I picked up the artist touch). I used to take a half ticket at 75ps in 1993-94.
>> then I started paying Rs.2, to travel to art classes in Jayanagar 9th block. This time in Pushpak, which was a lot comfortable and faster, and lesser crowded because of the cost.
I shifted to my bicycle and kine for a long time. After a bunch of accidents, I started using bus again
>>I paid Rs.9 for 2 buses together to get to Engg college. But these were Mysore Road buses crowded with Mofussil people. This was the worst phase of my bus traveling life.
>> Now I pay Rs.20 in a Volvo bus (read A.C) to travel to office on Outer Ring Road. It is filled with office goers like me and is faster than driving your own car.



Bus service quality has improved drastically in Bangalore. That's the reason I support bus travel in Bangalore as compared to Auto travel, which is just expensive, kills your mood and gives you a dusty/dirty ride with rigged meters. Also, I appreciate the empathizing authorities. But one thing I don't support is cutting the fares of Vovlo buses, which eventually leads the crowd to the A.Ced Volvo bus. C'mon,, don't kill my luxury of city bus ride!

13 comments:

•♥Sindhu :)♥• said...

Haha yeah! Lesser fares mean lesser class :D :P

And Autos have become very very costly - here in Hyderabad too! I used to feel proud about the fact that autos were the cheapest here - in the thin air now!!

Sandeep said...

Good to know you've traveled in City Bus as it evolved.. I just have the memories of its changing colors.. from Red - to - Blue - to - Red Volvo :)

I think i should take a bus some time, one long city ride.. :))
but i too hate crowd..

Prasad said...

aaaahhhhhha! same pinch in chennai too!!! but then i hardly use the bus....we got the trains :DDD

Manasa said...

I used to walk to school since it was just 10 min walk from my home. From 1st PU, BMTC buses. It was Rs 2 ticket eight yrs ago, now its Rs 8.

Manasa said...

BTW, does CKP conduct short term course even now? esp on weekends? Do let me know if you've any info abt it.

praddy said...

I think the Chennai authorities have taken a Cue from Bangalore, we see lot more of Volvo buses these days. Its almost 5-6 years since i went in a bus, its bikes all the time..should try the volvo sometime.

I remember taking some 270 series bus from Sanjay Nagar in Bangalore to Majestic and its more of a sight seeing trip, cos it goes all over the place and then the pushpak buses came - havent taken buses in Bangalore since then - Its haggling with the auto drivers since then!

vipbhati said...

the link 2 epaper does not work, can u provide the direct link to times of india website

vipbhati said...

check out - http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/events/show/359-nama-raste

FlyingHigh said...

I take company transport but this month decided to travel by BMTC. I was thrilled to get a 'direct' suvarna bus to my place, they charge one and half the normal price and its a pretty ordinary bus..leg space sucks in fact. But its 'direct' and its mostly empty so i love it! The link doesnt work btw, took me to a default page.

-shradha

Santosh said...

Totally ! Volvos are the best thing that has happened for bangalore ! I have stopped depending on Office Cabs ever since....

dimpy said...

hey....m new to bangalore...the volvo service is nice but the traffic here is pathetic and people out here hv no driving sense...

Sneha Divakar said...

yes, i agree on the traffic being really bad. the best way out is to adjust your travel times to be far behind or after the peak hours

dimpy said...

being far behind means late for office...:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...